“I’ve worked with England Rugby Teams and the NHS, but my work could not happen without horses!” – Rosie Tomkins
We at BoxHuman are passionate about highlighting and celebrating inspiring humans; especially the ones who are inspiring, helping and bringing light to the world. We do this in order to rebalance some of the negative messages we often hear, see and receive on a daily basis. We met up with one of these amazing individuals…
Hi Rosie, let’s start by getting to know you. Can you please tell me a little bit about you and what you are especially known for?
Hello, my name is Rosie Tomkins and I am a Leadership Development, Executive Coach and Author. I am the creator of the concept of Instinctive Intelligence and the founder of N-stinctive.
During a 30-year career, I have been fortunate enough to be a successful entrepreneur, consultant and sportswoman; as well as gathering a comprehensive knowledge of learning philosophies and experiencing their practical implication.
I am passionate about taking leaders and individuals out of their comfort zone and challenge their deeply held beliefs in a way that makes them stronger, more confident to initiate new ways and ideas.
My clients include the GB Olympic hockey and England rugby teams, the NHS and multi-national companies in the airline, engineering and pharmaceutical industries. I currently live on a farm near Bath in the west of England.
View this post on Instagram
What a brilliant introduction Rosie, thank you for sharing that. Your incredible background and innovative new concept sounds very interesting. I can’t wait to learn more about it all. However, before I do, can you please tell us what inspired you to start your business and why?
I started this business because I felt passionately that leadership training was missing an ingredient, NQ – Natural Intelligence. This quality cannot be learned in a classroom or be read in a book, it needs to be experiential. The individual needs to see the effect they have on others good or not so good.
Very interesting and what a great reason to start your business! Can you please explain your new concept “N-stinctive Intelligence” to us.
N-stinctive intelligence is about who you are, what you bring to the world. The essence of you is essential to all that you do. Knowing your strengths and celebrating these will give you the confidence to bring your best game to the table.
Brilliant and can you please kindly tell us…Why do you think as adults we lack confidence, become inhibited, and play it safe?
Adults become inhibited by fear, fear of being wrong, fear of being different, fear of being sacked and fear of ridicule. When you work with nature you are not judged, horses don’t care what car you drive, how much money you have in the bank or if you are a celebrity. They interact with you and accept you for who you are, no ego, no judgement.
What are your three top expert advice tips someone should know to uncover their hidden strengths?
My Top Tips would be:- Work experientially to find out exactly how you show up. Learn to stand in your power, understand energy, how to transmit and to receive.
Such great advice and something I’ve definitely taken note of. I have been told that you use horses within your programme to rapidly identify issues within a team. Can you please tell us why do you do this and what are the benefits of working with horses?
Let me start by explaining the parallels between horse and man…
It is really no co-incidence or fluke of nature, that we have been associated with the horse for thousands of years. They are a barometer of authenticity. They are experts in non-verbal communication and sentient learning, giving us a chance to explore in a different way. There is no agenda; they simply reflect our strength of character, our heart, our internal incongruence and our self-limiting perceptions.
So why are horses so powerful in this work?
There are so many different reasons horses are so powerful. Here are a few:
- There is no personal agenda – no investment in the outcome
- There is no judgement or ego – no interest in position/title/car you drive etc.
- Their contribution to the herd (team) is vital to the overall success of the whole.
- They act as a powerful mirror and provoke an honest conversation.
- The sensory imprints that they leave with us are vivid and emotionally evocative.
- Working with horses is like living bio-feedback.
- They show congruent leadership.
- They are distinct individuals – but act as one as a herd.
- They are happy to serve and co-operate with man – Farming/Transport/Sport.
- They communicate by energetic transfer – in the wild their lives depend upon instant accurate feedback.
- They live in the present.
- They respond to the environment first –then the mind takes over.
- They are social hierarchal – fear rejection or exclusion.
- They pick up energetic information –mood tone attitude intention.
Wow, thank you for sharing that powerful and insightful information with us. This leads perfectly on to my next set of questions. So to get started, I thought it would be great if I ‘fire’ some quick Inspire questions to you. Let’s begin…
1) Describe one thing that makes you smile?
2) What inspires you to be you on a daily basis and why?
3) What is your favourite quote and why?
1) Looking back at myself as a little girl, stealing into farmer’s fields to ride any horse bareback with a piece of string.
2) David Attenborough his enduring passion, humility and courage, still making powerful speeches at 93yrs.
3) My favourite quote has to be:
“What is my job on the planet? What is it that needs doing, that I know something about, that probably won’t happen unless I take responsibility for it” Buckminster Fuller
I must say…great answers Rosie. I particularly love your first answer, what a wonderful memory! Let’s keep our inspire questions flowing…If there were three positive things you would say to someone to inspire and empower them, what would they be and why?
1) Look to nature as your compass, be inspired by the courage, discipline and beauty just outside your window.
2) Embrace failure, it builds strength and resilience
3) Celebrate what’s right with the world. There is so much to be grateful for.
Who inspires you and why?
My inspiration comes from all animals especially the horses; the grandmasters of authenticity. How much we have to learn from all these magnificent creatures on our planet. Without them, my work could not happen.
And… I’ve been told that you have a new book. Can you please tell us about your book and where can we purchase it?
My new book is called N-Stinctive The power of Natural Intelligence by Rosie Tomkins and it is available via Amazon Books
In your own words…how would you describe yourself?
Thought leader, game changer that’s me, Rosie Tomkins
And to finish off this amazing interview….A BoxHuman is an empowered individual. They will not be defined by society’s labels. They show the better qualities of humankind, such as strength, kindness and inspiration. Can you please tell us what makes you a BoxHuman?
I hate labels. Nature displays diversity and never conforms to one pattern. My purpose is to celebrate people’s personal attributes and allow their strengths to flourish.